- Parents must call the school office and report absences at (931)289-4447 between 7:45 a.m. and 8:45 a.m. on the morning of the absence, or within three school days.
- Notes excusing a student's absence later than three school days following that absence are discouraged.
- As per HCHS policy, parents may submit up to three parent excused absences per semester. Any absences in excess of three will be considered unexcused without approval of the principal.
- Parents should not keep students home to baby-sit, run errands, or any non-emergency family business. Such absences are unexcused. Educational neglect takes place when parents willfully allow or keep their students out of school for inappropriate reasons
- Doctor appoinments should be made after school when possible.
- The student's personal illness or hospitalization with a doctor's note
- Death in the immediate family
- Recognized religious holidays/events
- Required court appearance
- Approved school-related activities
- Cultural/educational activities
- Other emergency extenuating circumstance beyond the control of the student
Students are expected to arrive at school on time. Tardiness disrupts the learning process and interferes with the opportunity for students to demonstrate personal responsibility. Students are, also, expected to arrive at teach class on time. Punctuality is a habit. Future employers are not goin to take time to teach it.
*Tardy records start clean every nine-weeks with regard to discipline consequences.
An unexcused absence (from a single class or multiple classes) is one that is not approved. Such absences may include, but are not limited to oversleeping, missing the bus or ride, shopping, vacations, etc. Educational neglect takes place when parents willfully allow or keep their students out of school for inappropriate reasons.
Dismissal During The School Day
All students are expected to remain at school for the entire day. If a student must leave school for an appointment, he/she must check out at the Attendance Desk. The student must have written permission from his/her parent/guardian and from the school BEFORE leaving school grounds. No student will be released to any person other than the student's parent or legal guardian without a parent or guardian's permission. Students must present a written note to the school office by 8 am signed by a parent providing permission to leave school early. School office personnel will then confirm with the parent that they wish to allow their student to leave early. In the case of an emergency or unusual event, the principal may grant permission based on telephonic approval by the parent.
Driver's License Revocation
More than ten (10) consecutive or fifteen (15) total unexcused absences by a student (age 16-18) during any semester renders a student ineligible to retain a driver’s permit or license, or to obtain such if of age.
In order to qualify for reclaiming a driver’s permit or license, the student must make a passing grade in at least three (3) full unit subjects or their equivalency at the conclusion of a subsequent grading period. Grading period shall be defined as one (1) semester. Students must also meet the attendance requirements as previously outlined.